Potential Visiting Students with Poultry Interest
Here at NC State’s College of Veterinary Medicine, we encourage students from other programs to visit and become familiar with what we have to offer. Poultry medicine is a growing field, and we take pride in allowing future poultry veterinarians the opportunity to come and immerse themselves in our Poultry Health and Welfare program. NC State has a strong world-renowned poultry program and supportive faculty members who are eager to teach up and coming poultry practitioners. Students who have an attraction to poultry medicine should use the following information as a framework to maximize their poultry experience.
What We Offer
Three Clinical Poultry Rotations (4th Year Students’ Priority)
We provide students an intensive two-week clinical experience, working with our diverse poultry industry within the State of North Carolina, including commercial chicken and turkey breeders, growers, hatcheries, and processing plants as well as independent niche-market producers.
2-3 Week Externships (Upon Approval)
- Clinical field investigations
- Diagnostic laboratory rotations
- Access to clinical histopathology poultry material
- Attendance at weekly poultry rounds
- Assisting and accompanying residents on necropsy duty and farm calls
- The ability to participate in Poultry Health Management Rounds offered every Mondays from 12:15 PM to 1:15 PM
- Students are encouraged to participate in Avian Pathology Rounds Wednesdays 10 a.m. to noon.
Poultry Health and Welfare Residency Program
Under this specialty program, senior students can apply for post-graduate training focusing on Poultry Health and Welfare to gain knowledge and experience in disease prevention, diagnosis and. treatment, to build a strong network within the poultry industry, and to have the ability to sit for American College of Poultry Veterinarian (ACPV) specialty board exam. It is currently a two-year program with one person per year accepted into the program. For more information, please contact Dr. Crespo.